When I decided to do this purge, the big thing I had to do was remove access to Facebook and Twitter. That included deactivating both accounts, removing the apps from my phone, and removing my social networking widget.
Then I found myself grabbing for the phone. It was a routine ritual; I'd have a 3 mn break in the action at work, grab my phone, and see the same stuff over and over again. Amongst people taking things way to seriously, acting self important, or posting their 37th picture of their child that day, it never changed, yet I found myself addicted to it. It's like a crack addict who knows his habit is bad, but is completely powerless to stop it.
I even started having feelings of guilt. "Maybe I'm overreacting" "Maybe I should just ..." Quickly, I had to give myself a mental slap on the wrist. I was trying to rationalize to myself why I needed to log onto Facebook. Or why I needed to be on Twitter. Like somehow, I wronged everyone for doing what I needed to do.
Let's hope I get better at this.
| This, only Facebook instead of a billion cigarettes. Glad I can't get cancer from social network addiction... |
I read two things today that are appropriate to this experiment:
A health aficionado explaining her "detox" from Social Networking sites: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7413/why-im-ditching-social-media.html
One of various research posts I found about the brain being hardwired to search for the negative: http://www.centreforconfidence.co.uk/pp/overview.php?p=c2lkPTEmdGlkPTAmaWQ9NDU=
No comments:
Post a Comment